How can I check my Aadhar card details?
One can check their Aadhar card details online by visiting the website https://uidai.gov.in. Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) provides the service to check the details online. An individual can check Aadhar card details online through different ways such as enrolment number, registered mobile number, URN number and also through the India Post online portal.
To check the status of a newly applied Aadhar card, one has to enter the following details enrolment number, date and time mentioned on the acknowledgement slip.
Also, an individual can check the details of their Aadhar card online and also print a soft copy. One has to provide the following details enrolment number, date, time, name and pin code.
To check the status, one must have the registered mobile phone linked to Aadhar number as an OTP is sent to it to retrieve details.
Furthermore, one can also check the details through their mobile by sending an SMS (text message). Following are the step:
- Type “UID STATUS <14 digit enrolment number>” and send it to 51969
- In case the Aadhaar has been generated, the applicant will receive an SMS with the Aadhaar number.
- If not, the applicant will receive an SMS with the current status of the Aadhaar.
To verify and check the Aadhar linked with the mobile number, one must visit the official UIDAI website, www.uidai.gov.in. Following are the steps through which one can verify their mobile number.
- After going to the official UIDAI website, one must click on the tab ‘Aadhar services’ and find the option ‘Verify Mobile Number/Email ID’.
- One has to enter the 12 digit Aadhaar number along with the Email ID and the mobile number. One has to use the same mobile number and Email ID which they used at the time of enrolment.
- Once the Captcha verification is done, click on ‘Get One Time Password.’
- One has to enter the OTP in the space provided and click on ‘Verify OTP.’
- Doing so will verify the mobile number and Email ID. In case, the mobile number is not linked to the Aadhar one can do so by visiting the nearest Aadhar enrolment centre.
Is it compulsory to change surname after marriage in Aadhar card?
The Indian Law does not restrict women from retaining their maiden surname after marriage. In other words, no law requires Indian women to change their names after marriage. Hence a woman doesn’t have to change her name if she has any official documents such as Aadhar Card, Passport, or PAN Card after marriage.
However, if one decides to change their name after marriage, they can easily do so either online or offline.
To apply for a name change online, one can follow the below steps:
- Log into the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) portal with the Aadhar number
- Submit name or surname or both change requests in the mentioned format.
- Upload a self-attested scanned copy of the supporting documents.
- The registered mobile number will receive an ITP to authenticate the change request.
No fee is charged for the process.
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre to change the name or surname.
- Carry all original copies of the supporting documents. The centre shall scan the documents and return them.
- If necessary, one may have to update their biometrics as well.
- A fee of INR 25, is charged for the process.
What is the Aadhaar number in an Aadhar card?
Aadhar is a 12 digit number issued by the UIDAI. UIDAI issues Aadhar numbers to all Resident Indians irrespective of age, gender and occupation. Aadhar number is a unique number. Each individual gets a unique Aadhar number. The Government achieves the uniqueness through the process of demographic and biometric de-duplication.
Aadhar is more than just an identity number. It is the easiest and safest link of recording any financial proceedings in India. Aadhar facilitates opening bank accounts, filing taxes, investing, or even obtaining PAN, driving license and also a passport.
Aadhar is an initiative by the Government to eliminate duplicates and fake identities. The Government uses it as a basis to identify people to roll out different welfare schemes. It is one of a kind program in the world where the state of the art digital ID is provided to a large scale of people for a zero cost.
Aadhaar is a strategic planning tool that the Government uses for financial inclusion, public sector reforms, managing fiscal deficits and promoting people-centric governance. The Aadhar number is the only way that allows the Government of India to reach the residents of the country to deliver subsidies, benefits and services.
Is it necessary to add a husband’s name in Aadhar?
Aadhar card guidelines allow married women to keep both their maiden name and husband’s name on the card. However, it is not mandatory to furnish supporting proof. To avoid problems arising from different surnames, one can add both Father’s and Husband’s name to their Aadhar card. Furthermore, there is no relation between adding the husband’s name to the card and changing one’s maiden name to their husband’s name (as this is optional).