- What is Mahila Samman Savings Certificate?
- Features of Mahila Samman Savings Certificate
- Who Can Open Mahila Samman Savings Account?
- How to Open a Mahila Samman Savings Certificate?
- Documents Required for Mahila Samman Savings Account
- Mahila Samman Savings Certificate Vs Other Post Office Schemes
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mahila Samman Savings Certificate?
Mahila Samman Saving Certificate (MSSC), a new small savings scheme launched in the Budget 2023 to promote investments among women. MSSC is a single-holder account that can be opened at any Post Office or registered bank. Mahila Samman savings scheme is a one-time scheme that is available for a tenure of 2 years.
|Mahila Samman Saving Certificate||Details|
|Interest Rates||7.50% p.a.|
|Minimum Investment Amount||Rs. 1000/-|
|Maximum Investment Amount||Rs. 2.00,000/-|
|Investment Tenure||2 year|
|Partial Withdrawal||40% of the Corpus|
Features of Mahila Samman Savings Certificate
The following are the features of the Mahila Samman Savings Certificate:
- Guaranteed Returns: The scheme is backed by the Government of India, and thus the returns are guaranteed.
- Interest Rate: 7.50% p.a.
- Eligibility: Only women are eligible to invest in the scheme.
- Minimum Investment Amount: INR 1,000, and in multiples of INR 100 thereafter.
- Maximum Investment Amount: INR 2,00,000
- Number of Accounts: A woman or guardian of a minor girl child can open a second account with a minimum gap of three months.
- Tenure: 2 years. The interest will be paid upon maturity of the scheme.
- Partial Withdrawals: Available. Depositors can withdraw up to 40% of the corpus amount after 1 year from the date of account opening.
- Premature Closure: The account cannot be prematurely closed. However, under certain conditions premature closure facility is available.
Who Can Open Mahila Samman Savings Account?
Mahila Samman Savings account is a small savings scheme only for women. Thus the account can be opened by a woman for herself or by the guardian on behalf of a minor girl. The account must be opened on or before 31st March, 2025
How to Open a Mahila Samman Savings Certificate?
To open a Mahila Samman Savings scheme, you can follow these steps:
- Obtain the Application form either by downloading it from the official Indian Post website or visiting the nearest Post Office branch.
- Complete the ‘To The Postmaster’ section of the form by filling out the Post Office address.
- Provide all the necessary information, and indicate the account as ‘Mahila Samman Savings Certificate’
- Complete the declaration and nomination details section.
- Submit the completed form along with any required documentation.
- Deposit the necessary funds in the Post Office by either cash or cheque.
- Obtain the certificate as proof of your investment in the Mahila Samman Savings Certificate scheme.
Documents Required for Mahila Samman Savings Account
The following are the documents required to open Mahila Samman Savings Scheme Account:
- MSSC account opening form.
- KYC Documents – Address Proof (Aadhaar Card, Voter’s ID or Driver’s license) and Pan Card.
- KYC form for first-time investors
- Pay-in slip
Mahila Samman Savings Certificate Vs Other Post Office Schemes
|Schemes||Eligibility||Interest Rate||Tenure||Deposit Limit||Tax Benefit|
|Mahila Samman Savings Certificate (MSSC)||WomenGirl Child||7.50% p.a.||2 Years||Minimum – INR 1,000Maximum – INR 2 lakh||No tax benefit|
|2 Yr Post Office Time Deposit||Any Indian Citizen||6.90%||2 Years||Minimum – INR 1,000Maximum – No Limit||No tax benefit|
|Public Provident Fund (PPF)||Any Indian Citizen||7.10% p.a.||15 Years||Minimum – INR 500Maximum – INR 1.5 lakh||Exempt-Exempt-Exempt (EEE) category under Section 80C|
|National Savings Certificate (NSC)||Any Indian Citizen||7.70% p.a.||5 Years||Minimum – INR 1,000Maximum – No Limit||Deduction under Section 80C|
|Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS)||Senior Citizens||8.20% p.a.||5 Years||Minimum – INR 1,000Maximum – INR 30 lakh||Deduction under Section 80C|
|Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY)||Girl Child below the age of 10 years||8.00% p.a.||21 Years||Minimum – INR 250Maximum – INR 1.5 lakh||Exempt-Exempt-Exempt (EEE) category under Section 80C|
Frequently Asked Questions
The interest rate on Mahila Samman savings scheme is 7.50% p.a.
No. There is no tax benefit for investing in Mahila Samman Savings Scheme.
By making a one-time deposit, women can receive an interest rate of 7.50% p.a. at the end of two years. This interest rate on MSSC is higher than what many banks offer for their fixed deposit schemes for the same period.