What is a PAN card?
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number. It is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity issued to Indian taxpayers by the Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
Who should apply for PAN card?
Indian residents and NRIs who pay taxes in India must have a PAN card.
Why should you have a PAN card?
A PAN card helps you pay direct taxes, file income tax returns, and to make high-value financial transactions.
How to apply for a PAN card online?
The most hassle-free way of applying for a PAN card, is online, by using online services, authorized by the government to issue PAN card.
Steps to follow:
- Go to NSDL website (National Securities Depository Limited) OR UTIITSL website (both these websites have been authorized by the government).
- Fill in Form 49A.
- To fill out the information in a precise way, you may refer to this instructions document.
- You will be required to pay a nominal application fee for this process. The amount will differ for Indian residential address and foreign address for correspondence.
- After completing the application form and payment, you will have to send supporting documents to NSDL.
- Send self-attested documents to the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL address, by post or courier.
How to apply for a PAN card offline?
- You will find addresses of PAN card offices in all cities, from the Income Tax Department website.
- Visit the nearest office, furnish copies of a proof of identity, residential address, and birth certificate.
- Make the process fee payment via cash, cheque or demand draft.
Tip: You could use the help of an agent for offline application as well.