What is an Aadhar Number?
A unique identification number issued to Indians residing in India to help them get government subsidies. It is a 12-digit unique number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) by taking a person’s biometric details such as fingerprints and eye scan, and demographic information like date of birth and address.
How to apply for an Aadhar card?
You can apply for an Aadhar card only offline, primarily due to the biometrics requirement.
- Visit the nearest Aadhar enrollment center and carry an original proof of identity and proof of residential address (such as photo ID card, Ration card, passport and driving license), along with some extra photocopies.
- Fill out the enrollment form at the center accurately and submit the supporting documents.
- Record your biometrics at the center.
- Collect acknowledgment receipt from the center.
- You will receive your Aadhar number online via the provided email ID, within 90 days.
Please note that this service is free of cost and there is no application fee for the same.
How do I get an Aadhar number for a child or minor person?
Parents can procure Aadhar cards for their children if they are above the age of 1. The process of application is the same. They must furnish their birth certificate, along with proof of identity, and address of payments.
For children below 5 years, no biometrics will be captured.
Their UID be processed on the basis of demographic information and facial photograph linked with the UID of their parents. These children will need to be re-enrolled with biometrics of ten fingers, iris, and facial photograph when they turn 5.
Their biometrics will be updated once they turn 15. Intimation to this effect will be mentioned in the original Aadhaar letter.
Check Out How to Link Aadhar with Mobile Number?