Skip to main content
Scripbox Logo

Top 10 Best performing mutual funds in India 2019

In this article we have discussed the top performing mutual funds in India under different categories.
Top 10 Best performing mutual funds in India 2019

It is great that you have decided to invest in mutual funds. But, before starting your search for top-performing mutual funds it is prudent to finalize your financial goals and objectives.

There are numerous mutual fund schemes available in the market with different scheme objectives. Comparing schemes using the same set of variables is like comparing apples and oranges. In this article, we have listed some of the best performing mutual funds in India under different categories.

10 Top Performing Mutual Funds in India

If you have a clear idea of your life goals, investment objectives, and the risk-taking capacity, then you will know whether the objective is long-term or short-term. Accordingly, you can shortlist the top-performing mutual funds which are aligned to your financial goals.

The life goals for a person can be broadly classified into four categories.

  • Life goals requiring long-term wealth creation 
  • Life goals for short-term money requirement
  • Saving tax
  • Creating emergency fund

This article lists the top-performing mutual fund in all four broad categories.

Best Performing Mutual Funds to Invest for the Long Term

Your long-term life goals can be

  • Creating a corpus for securing your child’s future or multiply wealth (crorepati)
  • Saving for child’s education and marriage
  • Creating retirement funds to maintain your lifestyle

All of these will require you to invest for a longer period of 15 years or more in equity-oriented mutual funds to create long term wealth. Investing in an equity-based mutual fund for a longer-term wards off the effects of volatility, generates higher returns and helps you reinvest & grow with companies.

However, you need to remember that equity is a high-risk high-return investment proposition and is suitable for risk-taking individuals.

The list of the best equity-based mutual funds for long-term wealth generation includes;

1. Mirae Asset Large Cap Fund (G)

Mirae Asset Large Cap Fund (Growth) scheme’s objective is to generate long-term capital appreciation by capitalizing on potential investment opportunities by predominantly investing in equities of large-cap companies.

You can start investing in Mirae Asset Large Cap fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment amount  of Rs. 5000 or a SIP of Rs. 1000 for 12 months. You may like to read How to invest in SIP mutual funds.

The fund invests 95% of the corpus in equities and keeps the remaining 5% in cash and for other instruments.

The salient features of the Mirae Asset Large Cap Fund (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

Features
Mirae Asset Large Cap Fund (G)
Managed by Mirae Asset Global Investment Management (India) Private Limited
Asset classEquity
AUMRs. 11,892.50 Crore
Exit load1% on or before 1 year (365 days)

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 5 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 8.46 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

2. HDFC Top 100 Fund (G)

HDFC Top 100 Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty 100 TRI. The scheme objective is to provide long-term capital appreciation/income by investing majorly in large-cap companies.

You can start investing in HDFC Top 100 fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment amount of Rs. 5000 or a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The fund invests 99% of the corpus in equities and the remaining 1% in debt and other instruments.

The salient features (as on 1st August 2019) of the HDFC Top 100 Fund (Growth) are as under;

Features
HDFC Top 100 Fund (Growth)
Managed by
HDFC Asset Management Company Limited
Asset class
Equity
AUM
Rs. 16,609.70 Crore
Exit load
1% on or before 1 year

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 5 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 8.06 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

3. Kotak Standard Multicap Fund (G)

Kotak Standard Multicap Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty 200 TRI. The scheme objective is to generate long-term capital appreciation from a portfolio of equity and equity-related securities generally focused on a few selected sectors.

You can start investing in Kotak Standard Multicap Fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment amount of Rs. 5000 or a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The fund invests 95% of the corpus in equities and the remaining 5% in other instruments.

The salient features of the Kotak Standard Multicap Fund (G) (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

FeaturesKotak Standard Multicap Fund (Growth)
Managed by 
Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited
Asset class
Equity
AUM
Rs. 23,880.98 Crore
Exit load
1% on or before 1 year

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 5 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 8.25 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

4. Parag Parikh Long Term Equity Fund (G)

Parag Parikh Long Term Equity Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty 500 TRI. The scheme objective is to generate long-term capital growth from an actively managed portfolio primarily of equity and equity-related securities.

You can start investing in Parag Parikh Long Term Equity Fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment amount of Rs. 1000 or a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The fund invests 87% of the corpus in equities and the remaining 13% in other instruments.

The salient features (as on 1st August 2019) of the Parag Parikh Long Term Equity Fund (Growth) are as under;

Features
Parag Parikh Long Term Equity Fund (Growth)
Managed by
PPFAS Asset Management Pvt. Ltd.
Asset class
Equity
AUM
Rs. 1737.94 Crore
Exit load
2% on or before 365 days, 1% after 365 days but on or before 730 days

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 5 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 8.10 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

Top Performing Mutual Fund for Short Term Money (Debt)

Short-term life goals require an investment in fixed income based investments. They are predominantly debt mutual funds (at least 65%) with the remaining portion of the money invested in the liquid money market instruments or held as cash.

Debt mutual funds are best for an investment horizon of 3 to 5 years. The short-term life goals which you can achieve through short-term funds are;

  • Loan closure
  • A dream bike or car
  • Building corpus for a wedding or an overseas vacation
  • For paying the down payment while buying a house or property.

Short-term debt mutual funds seek capital preservation and earning returns through interest income. They have a lower risk and have lower returns as compared to equity mutual funds.

The top-performing short-term money (debt) mutual funds are;

5. Kotak Savings Fund (G)

Kotak Savings Fund is an open-ended debt mutual fund scheme benchmarked to the NIFTY Ultra-short duration debt index.

The investment objective of the fund is to generate returns through investments in debt and money market instruments with a view to reduce the interest rate risk.

The Kotak savings fund is a moderately low-risk fund that invests in  certificate of deposits, commercial papers, non-convertible debentures, and bonds.

You can start with the first minimum investment amount of Rs. 5000 or with a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The details of the fund (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

Parameters
Kotak Savings Fund (G)
Asset Management Company
Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited
Asset Class
Debt
AUM
Rs. 12,994 Crores
Yield to maturity
7.01%

6. ICICI Prudential Savings Fund (G)

ICICI Prudential Savings Fund (G) is an open-ended debt mutual fund scheme benchmarked to the NIFTY low duration debt index.

The investment objective of the fund is to generate income through investments in a range of debt and money market instruments while maintaining the optimum balance of yield, safety and liquidity.

The ICICI Prudential savings fund is a moderately low-risk fund that invests in certificate of deposit, commercial paper, T-bills, government securities, non-convertible debentures and bonds.

You can start with a first minimum investment amount of Rs. 5000 or with a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The details of the fund (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

Parameters
ICICI Prudential Savings Fund (G)
Asset Management Company
ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company Limited
Asset Class
Debt
AUM
Rs. 19,162 Crores
Yield to maturity
7.28%

Best Performing Tax Saver Mutual Funds (ELSS)

Tax saving mutual funds or Equity linked saving scheme (ELSS) help you with two things; first, save taxes and the other is to generate wealth as they generate higher returns compared to other tax savings options.

Tax saving mutual funds have a lock-in period of three years, have a moderately higher risk and majorly invest in equity to generate higher returns.

Some of the best ELSS funds helping you with tax planning are;

7. Motilal Oswal Long Term Equity Fund (G)

Motilal Oswal Long Term Equity Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty 500 TRI.

The scheme objective is to generate long-term capital appreciation from a diversified portfolio of predominantly equity and equity-related instruments.

You can start investing in Motilal Oswal Long Term Equity Fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment of Rs. 500 or a SIP of Rs. 500.

The fund invests 94% of the corpus in equity instruments and the remaining 6% in other instruments.

The salient features of  Motilal Oswal Long Term Equity Fund (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

Features
Motilal Oswal Long Term Equity Fund (Growth)
Managed by
Motilal Oswal Asset Management Company Limited
Asset class
Equity
AUM
Rs. 1339.03 Crore

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 4 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 5.98 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

8. DSP Tax Saver Fund (G)

DSP Tax Saver Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty 500 TRI.

The scheme objective is to generate medium to long-term capital appreciation from a diversified portfolio comprising mainly of equity and equity-related securities of corporate houses. This allows investors to avail deduction from total income as permitted under the Income Tax Act 1961 from time-to-time.

You can start investing in DSP Tax Saver Fund by making a first minimum lump-sum investment of Rs. 500 or a SIP of Rs. 500.

The fund invests 95% of the corpus in equity instruments and the remaining 5% in other instruments.

The salient features (as on 1st August 2019) of the DSP Tax Saver Fund (Growth) are as under;

Features
DSP Tax Saver Fund (Growth)
Managed by
DSP Investment Managers Private Limited
Asset Class
Equity
AUM
Rs. 5413.31 Crore

The value of SIP investment of Rs.10,000 per month over a period of 4 years has turned into a corpus of Rs. 7.91 Lakh, based on the observed past data.

Best Mutual Fund to Invest for Emergency Fund

Emergency funds help you tide over the short periods of financial stress in life which can be due to;

  • Sudden medical emergency
  • Disasters and accidents
  • Temporary income loss
  • Job loss

The objective is to make funds available instantly; hence the investment needs to be in highly safer liquid instruments. The investment period ranges from a few days to months and the returns are higher than that of a savings bank deposit.

However, you can use liquid funds as a tool to park excess funds and start a systematic transfer plan. Know how to invest in Liquid Fund

The best mutual funds for liquid emergency funds are;

9. Tata Liquid Fund (G)

Tata Liquid Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to CRISIL Liquid Fund Index. The scheme objective is to generate reasonable returns with high liquidity to the unit-holders.

You can start investing in Tata Liquid Fund by making the first minimum investment of Rs. 5000 or a monthly SIP of Rs. 1000.

The fund invests in debt instruments like CD (14.35%), T-Bills (15.14%), NCD & bonds (0.49%) and the rest in CP (60.88%).

The salient features of  Tata Liquid Fund (G) (as on 1st August 2019) are as under;

Features
Tata Liquid Fund (Growth)
Managed by
Tata Asset Management Limited
Asset class
Debt
AUM
Rs. 20,838 Crore
Yield to maturity
6.36%

10. Axis Liquid Fund (G)

Axis Liquid Fund (Growth) is benchmarked to Nifty Liquid Fund Index. The scheme objective is to provide a high level of liquidity with reasonable returns commensurate with low risk through a portfolio of money market and debt securities.

You can start investing in Axis Liquid Fund by making the first minimum investment amount of Rs. 500 or a SIP of Rs. 1000.

The fund invests 100% of the corpus in debt instruments.

The salient features (as on 1st August 2019) of the Axis Liquid Fund (G) are as under;

Features
Axis Liquid Fund (Growth)
Managed by
Axis Asset Management Company Ltd.
Asset class
Debt
AUM
Rs. 21,028.05 Crore
Yield to maturity
7.29%

Conclusion

Before picking up any of the top-performing mutual funds make sure the scheme objectives are aligned to your investment goals, time period, and your understanding of risk and volatility.

Also, keep in mind that the macroeconomic factors and market fluctuations do have an impact on fund performance.